Non-timber forest products are any plant-based materials of commercial value harvested from forests — other than
timber. The sustainable production of non-timber forest products goes by many names: agroforestry, forest farming,
forest gardening, special forest products, and non-wood forest products.
Non-timber forest products are valuable commodities with potential to generate significant economic activity at the
local community level — without having to destroy or degrade the forest ecosystems in which these plants thrive.
ArborReal Products, LLC is dedicated to fostering the sustainable propagation, harvesting, value-added processing, and
marketing of non-timber forest products in southwestern Virginia. We strongly support preservation of all forest plant
species grown for market.
There are seven main categories of non-timber forest products:
- forest grown medicinal plants, such as ginseng, goldenseal, black cohosh, wild yam, bloodroot, ladyslipper,
- fringe tree, blue cohosh, hydrangea, lobelia, mayapple, New Jersey tea, passion flower, pipsissewa, sassafras, slippery elm, solomon seal, spikenard, stone root, Virginia snake root, wild ginger, and witch hazel
- edible products, such as mushrooms, nuts, roots, flowers, greens, and fruits
- floral or decorative products, such as pine boughs, pinecones, grape vines, fungi, leaves, pods, and stems
- horticultural products, live plants for gardeners, landscapers and home decorators
- fragrant essences, deciduous, coniferous and herbaceous leaves, seeds, roots, flowers and nuts from which fragrant oils are extracted
- specialty wood products, household and decorative wares, and toys crafted from foraged wood
- seed and root suppliers to the non-timber forest products industry.